Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Day Thirty-seven (49.73 miles, 1691.06): Hoosier Daddy Pass

5:30AM. I lazily open my eyes to the sound of people shuffling around outside. Ella is at the entrance of the tent and stretches out like a little pelt. I peel myself out of my sleeping bag and wiggle out of the tent. Ella is already flying around the field to say good morning to her friends. Bill, Joel, Carol, and Celia are all slowly packing their gear to get ready for the ride ahead. It's going to be a long day and we all know it. I pack up my tent wet and shove it into the back pannier. My tarp is all wet, so I shake it out as best I can and strap it to the tops of my bags. Once everything is loaded, Ella runs up to me and sits down, ready to put on her harness.

As a group, we head for the diner to get a good breakfast. Everyone in the diner loves Ella and can't stop asking about her. She loves all the attention she is getting. A spoiled little fur ball who thinks she's a princess! I order a massive plate of biscuits and gravy for breakfast. It was the perfect meal to start the day. That little bar/restaurant is a great place, sorry I forgot the name of it!

Joel and I are in no hurry this morning, so we let Bill and Carol take the lead. Celia still had a few things to get done before she left. It is freezing, so I stop after about a mile to put on my jacket. Not long into our ride, Joel and I spot a few antelope and pass another buffalo farm. It's a nice sunny morning with a few clouds dancing across the sky. In the distance, almost in a circle, are masses of grey storm clouds. We ride on through the morning, cruising past golden fields, icy blue rivers, and gorgeous mountain homes. We can't help but stop and take pictures of everything we pass. This area of America is absolutely beautiful beyond words. The towering peaks of the mountains grazing the clouds above. The valley basin, deep green highlighted by the Platte River snaking its way through the hills. Small mountain communities rest upon buttes jutting from the mountain walls.

Joel is in a fantastic mood and it's obvious why in a place as stunning as this. We roll our way up the mountains until we catch up with Bill and Carol at a small coffee shop in the next city. While we are sitting there, indulging ourselves in snack, Celia catches up with the crew. It is getting warmer now, so I take off my jersey and keep on just my long sleeved shirt. It isn't long before we are ready to go and set off toward Alma. Fortunately for us, there is a great bike path all the way to Alma and we don't have to skirt the shoulder of the highway. On our right, a massive line of broken rocks and trees follow along the path. To our left, we pass a gravel manufacturer and a stunning view of the Rockies.

The ten mile long path only ends up being six miles and we ride into the highest incorporated town in North America, Alma. It is a cool little town nestled up in the saddle of the mountains. Outside of every home are kayaks, bikes, skis, snowmobiles, and every other piece of outdoor equipment you could imagine. It doesn't take long to pass on through the little town. On the other side of the town, we stop just before the four mile ascent up Hoosier Pass. A quick bathroom break and a power bar and we are ready to roll. Carol doesn't stop often for pictures like everyone else, so she has been ahead since before Alma.

I take the lead on the climb up the narrow highway. Cars are flying past at 10,000 mph and there is little to no shoulder to ride on so I begin a balancing act on the fine white line as I work my way up the mountain. My speed averages between 4-5mph grinding up the slopes. It is a slow process, but the views around me are worth every aching muscle. Ella isn't used to the elevation and is fast asleep in the front carrier. The cars are showing us no mercy and there are a few times I have to ride into the dirt.There were a few times, I couldn't help but show my frustration with a few drivers and the same went for Joel and Bill as well.

Powering up the pass, I could feel the altitude for the first time as I worked for more oxygen. Across the treeline and across the valley, are mesmerizing peaks, covered in crisp, white snow. Aside from the altitude, the mountains are unimaginably breathtaking. Before I even know it, I crest the finally corner and cross the road to the Hoosier Pass marker. I had completed the highest peak along the TransAm route and crossed the Continental Divide for the first time. It was a great feeling to know that I had climbed it with all my gear and Ella and no one could take that away from me. I also realized why it had earned the nickname Hoosier Daddy Pass!

I wait for the rest of the crew, and we all get our pictures taken next to the monument. Of course, plenty of tourists come up and ask us all sorts of questions, then all of the attention once again turned to Ella! The sun disappears into the mass of clouds above. I slip on my rain gear over my panniers and guitar, then proceed on down the mountain. We fly down the mountain like little rockets, twisting around hairpin turns, whipping through the alpines and racing an icy river all the way down into Breckenridge.

Breckenridge is an awesome ski town filled with hotels, resorts, stores, and restaurants of all kinds. Bill and Carol head for the hostel we had been planning to stay at and Joel and I head on downtown for lunch. Joel was treating me to lunch as a celebration of the pass and as a parting ways meal. Joel was going to spend a few days with his wife before getting back on the trail again. The restaurant we stop in had the best food I have had on the entire trip. Everything was cooked fresh and served in huge portions. For an appetizer, we have a board brought out to us filled with different cheeses and different select meats along with a few different types of crackers. For the main course, I had a massive bowl of recommended 5 Cheese Mac & Cheese, crusted, seasoned, and baked, with fresh BBQ pulled pork piled on top. It was a challenge just to finish it. After our lunch, we say our goodbyes and go our separate ways.

It was a quick ride to the hostel, but they don't allow dogs of any kind, even service dogs. They made sure that it was abundantly clear to me. A little annoyed, I chase off after Joel down the bike path to Frisco. The bike paths go all over the mountains of Colorado like a nest of asphalt snakes weaving in and out of the mountain passes. I catch Joel just as he is putting on rain gear. It starts to rain as we make our way for Frisco. The path is amazingly well maintained and it is just a beautiful ride despite the rain. Just before Frisco, I split off from Joel and ride out onto the Frisco Peninsula to check out a few campgrounds. When I get there, I can't find any of my cash and they turn me away back into the cold rainy afternoon.

I ride into Frisco, which is an awesome mountain town, to get some cash and head toward another campground. My GPS dies while I'm riding looking for a another campground about 4 miles away and I get lost on the bike trails. Annoyed, overly tired, and just down right frustrated, I trace my way back to a series of hotels I saw near Frisco. After canvassing each one for the cheapest hotel, I end up at the Ramada for the night. Tired, I drag myself into the room and let everyone know where I am. Ella jumps up onto my lap, then jumps onto the bed and passes out. I take a shower and head out to get some food. Once I got some more food in my system, I was feeling a ton better.

I call Bill and I plan for a late morning waiting for them to reach Frisco. The views and atmosphere of the mountains were unlike anything I could imagine. It was a great day and I loved every moment of it. Even though I spent the extra money for a hotel, I appreciated having a nice bed to sleep. With the thought of sleep drifting across my mind, I am putting up the keyboard and hitting the hay. Thank you for all your support as we have traveled across the US and we hope you continue to enjoy our adventures!

2 comments:

  1. I have been catching up on my phone, but for some reason it won't let me respond in the comments..... This sounds like this is exactly what you had hoped it would be! Good riding, good times, and making good friends. That's one thing I didn't get on my Euro trip, making friends. It's not that people weren't friendly, but it was just different. The people you are with are on the same mission, I was on my own random mission. Ella is a HIT with everyone, I love it! Keep it up man, you're doing great and I'm super proud of your accomplishment. Wish I could join you on this journey....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another mostly fabulous day. We love the Breckinridge and Frisco area, having been there MANY times. Wanna go back! Of course Ella is getting a lot of attention, just as the Princess deserves. We are enjoying the armchair ride!

    Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete