Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day Fifty-two (34.5 miles, 2375.3 miles total): The Rider, The Truck, and The Elk

SNIFFSNIFFSNIFF! Ella has her nose pressed to my ear trying to nudge me awake. 7:15AM, I way overslept my alarm this morning and almost jumped straight through the tent. When I finally managed to escape the confines of my tent, I realized that every other cyclist was still out cold in their tents. Must have been a long day for everyone yesterday! Thee weather is absolutely gorgeous and there's not a cloud in sight. I'm in no rush so I waltz on down to the ranger's station, where they have free coffee for cyclists. It was incredibly nice of them to do that for cyclists so I washed all the cups in the sink. When I'm done with my coffee, I head back to my camp and pack up my gear.

A bit chilly, so I keep on my long sleeve for the ride this morning. By 8:15AM, I was back on my bike and headed for Mammoth Hot Springs. My ride is beautiful all morning long as I pedal along side the river. It wasn't long before I was climbing again and packed away my long sleeve. Bright, blue, clear skies and not a chance of rain in sight. I stopped at a long stone wall at the banks of the river for a snack and to take in the scenery. After my quick snack, I started my only big climb of the day. Along the way, cars sped past like I wasn't there and I had to be really careful on the corners.

I pushed on and on up the massive hill. Signs for the Caldera started popping up along the sides of the highway as I pressed on. One driver stopped on the side of the road and got out to take pictures of me! It was really strange because after that, I started to notice more people leaning out windows to take pictures of me and Ella. I finally reached the peak and flew down the other side of the mountain. Lucky for me, traffic lulled as I plummeted down the hill and I was able to take more room on the road. As I raced down into the valley, the road twisted around bend after bend until it finally met the river again. I finally reached the small community of Norris by late morning.

After eating an entire jar of peanut butter, I rode another half mile before I had to hitch a ride in the back of a truck. A guy named Brian and his family picked me up and gave me a ride. The roads had turned from asphalt to dirt and construction debris. It was too dangerous for me to ride my bike over and a ranger had told me not to ride the zone as well. We waited for the guide car for about 45 minutes. Brian got out to walk around and gave me a beer while I chilled in the bed of the truck and played guitar. The guide car finally shows up and we sailed on down the heavily damaged construction zone. The construction filled the road for about twenty miles all the way to Mammoth. Brian drops me off at the Hot Springs and heads off with his family. I cruise my way into town and stop for directions to a local residential area.

I was in my way to meet a friend of Grady's and stay with him for the night. I ended up riding the complete wrong way and down a massive hill. A ranger gave me the correct directions and I started pedaling my way back up the gargantuan hill. As I struggled against the hill and a ridiculous wind, an elk started staring at me and walking right next to me. I could have reached out and grabbed the elk it was so close! I am pretty sure the damn elk was laughing at me as I struggled to breathe.

I finally made it to Grady's friend, Ryan's house. He wasn't home, but he left a set of car keys and left the doors unlocked for me. I was able to take a shower and work on my writing for a bit before he finally arrived home. Ryan and I immediately hit it off then sat and talked for hours. About 10:30PM, Ryan and I went into town for pizza and beer. After scoring a pizza just before the place closed, we head on back to his house. I finish up working on a few photos and bits of writing before I finally call it a night. I had a great day of riding, met some great people, made a new friend, and had a good place to stay for the evening! Ella and I hope you are enjoying our misadventures and continue to follow us as we cross into Montana!




2 comments:

  1. Smart Alec elk! Haha. He was probably fascinated with Ella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I wonder what Ella's reaction was to him? She was probably thinking she was just as big as him!
    And even though Ella is getting all the attention, us readers know who is doing all the hard work! Keep up the fantastic writing and pictures!

    ReplyDelete