Monday, July 13, 2015

Day Forty-nine (44.3 miles, 2242.0 total): Headed For Jellystone!

RING! RING! RING! I shut off my phone and open the fly to let Ella out. She bounds out of the tent like a little rabbit and sprints around the camp. I'm wide awake and feeling good this morning. Its' a bit chilly so I throw on my long sleeve and get to work breaking down camp. Troy is up making sure everything is ready to go in the car. He has to drop off a paddle board by 7:00AM. I get all my gear into my panniers and we load my bike into the car. The campground is pretty far out of the way, so Troy is going to drop me back off in Moose. Ella is excited to go for a ride and jumps right into the car. I say goodbye to my cousins and we set off down the road, it's a short drive and soon we are at Moose.

The store doesn't open until 8:00AM, so Troy buys me a cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll for breakfast before he sets off toward Jackson again. I have a few things that I need to pick up for my ride, so I sit out on the front porch enjoying my coffee and watching the sun rise above the Tetons. There is no better way to start the day. When the store opens, I quickly grab the things I need and cruise off down the road. Heading away from Jackson, I have no shoulder but the drivers were pretty considerate this morning.

I have a nice breeze and and the views are absolutely breathtaking. Flying across the plateau, I am completely stunned by how beautiful the Snake River is, wrapping its way around the foot of the Tetons. I stop by a pull off in the road and stand exactly where Ansel Adams stood to take one of his famous Tetons photos. Looking back, it is amazing to see how much the valley has changed in the last hundred years. The plateau forms in steps down to the Snake River, showing millions of years of environmental change. The road leads down into the woods and I shoot through the twisting path of pines and streams.

Down at the bottom, I ride along the gentle bends of the Snake River until I reach the ranch lands of the valley again. The road levels out and I was back at Moran Junction before I knew it. I pay my park fee and enter through the gates to Yellowstone. I leave the flat lands of the valley and cruise through the rolling hills of the park. The sun fills the brilliant blue skies, knocking the early morning chill away and leaving a blanket of warmth. Joel texts me and lets me know he is going to try for Moran Junction today, it is good to hear that my buddy isn't' too far behind now!

I roll on past the royal blue waters of the pristine park lakes, around this time, the roads start to fill with traffic. Yellowstone isn't the most bike friendly place in the world and you have to be very careful of everyone around you. Cars, trucks, campers, RVs, tour buses and boat trailers fly by you with no remorse as you pedal through the hills. Some places, I had to hop off the road into the dirt to avoid being clipped by imbecile drivers. Despite the idiotic actions of a few drivers, I had a nice ride through the morning. By early afternoon, I stopped at a lodge by the top of a hill for lunch. While I am enjoying the relaxing break, Ella runs around enjoying the chance to stretch her little legs, she is as happy as can be. After about half an hour, Ella is ready to get back in the basket and we set off for Colter Bay.

The ride leads me through towering forests of pine and sprawling golden meadows. It was a short ride from the lodge to Colter Bay, where I waited in line for 45 minutes to get my campsite. It was worth the wait when I discovered my campsite was away from the majority of other campers, had a table, a fire pit, and a bear box for all of my gear. Once I was settled in, I headed up to the Colter Bay general store for dinner and grabbed a delicious sub sandwich and a bag of salt and pepper chips. While chowing down on my meal, I get a message from Joel saying he is going to make it all the way to Colter Bay this evening.

I wander around Colter Bay exploring the docks for a little while longer before heading back to my campsite. It's starting to get really cloudy and Joel finally shows up. Joel has Keith with him, a friend that he has done other tours with in the past. Keith is a pretty cool guy and is going to ride all the way to Missoula with Joel. The guys head out to the store to grab some food and when they get back it begins to rain. We switch between hiding beneath a bathroom awning and a clump of trees while the rain comes down. It seemed like it was going to pass quickly but ended up lasting for quite awhile.

Eventually the surprise rain settles down a bit and we start a fire. While we are huddling around our tiny fire, the biggest fox I have ever seen comes right into our camp for a few moments. Ella didn't like the fox being there and it is the first time on the trip I had to hold her back from something. After a few moments of watching us, the fox finally decides to pick up and leave. The sun starts to set low  beyond the pines and we all call it a night. It was a great day for riding and I couldn't ask to be in a more beautiful place. I hope you are enjoying our adventures and continue to follow us as we head through America's First National Park.
 










2 comments:

  1. We have camped all along here many times over the years. I have a photo holding Parker kitty just off Moran Jct with those majestic mountains in the background. I told Dick that we had to prove that Parker had seen the Tetons...as have Missy and KC...and of course, your two-legged cousins! We hope to get back there again in a year or so. It thrills me that you also love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such amazingly beautiful pictures. Seeing these has put this place on my list of vacations! So glad your sharing this journey with everyone :)
    Ella could have scared that fox away with just her bark LOL but it's probably good you held her back.

    ReplyDelete