Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day Sixty-two (0 miles): Time on My Hands

After a long few days of consistent head winds and other misadventures, I decided to take a rest day at Hell's Gate State Park. I spent the day riding all over the park, exploring the paths along the Snake River. I had breakfast down at a little harbor with an oddball shop keeper and enjoyed a cup of coffee on the river. After walking around for awhile, I went to the Lewis & Clark visitors center to write for awhile and charge up all of my electronic devices.

Throughout the day, I had rangers continuously walking up to me, wanting to know about my trip. After I had talked to one ranger the night before, he had apparently gone out and told the whole park staff about me! Needless to say, I had quite a few interesting conversations with a variety of people throughout the day. Back at camp, a German shepherd came running into our camp and Ella immediately chased him down and tried to corner him before the big dog ran away. I have no idea why, but Ella seems to be able to handle dogs 10x her size! It's really funny to watch her "be tough". Better watch out, she's a killer!

The rest of the evening was spent packing my gear, cooking dinner and playing my guitar in camp. I spoke to quite a few other campers near by who wanted to know about my trip as well. Finally when the sun drifted down below the horizon, I locked up my gear and hit the hay. All in all it was a little more than a semi-productive day!




2 comments:

  1. Dick and I have been there. Another interesting VC. Go, Ella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ella is use to big dogs. My sister has a German Shepard and Ella would get along great with him but I think he knew the girl dogs ran the farm! She is probably very protective of you too.

    ReplyDelete