Thursday, May 28, 2015

Day Three (much needed recovery): Rubber Bands and a Not So Super Eight

BEEP BEEP BEEP! My alarm is screaming at me to wake up. I lazily open my eyes and find my phone lying on the bedside table. Click! The screaming stops and I drift back to sweet sweet sleep. RING RING RING!!!!! What now?! "Mom Calling" She probably wants to know if I'm going to ride today. Carefully I wait for feeling to return to the rest of my sleepy body. NOPE! Not going back to sleep this time! Feels like someone decided to beat me with a pillowcase full of soap while I was sleeping. Every part of me is too sore to move. My legs feel like rubber bands when i stretch them out, all they want to do is snap back into place. The fetal position. Well i guess that settles the fact that I overestimated my abilities the day before.

Finally, after about 10 minutes of Ella crawling all over me like a jungle gym, I decide its time to get up and smell the roses. Ella hates collars, leashes, harnesses, and every thing else that might possibly contain her. Unfortunately, most people don't like dogs off leashes no matter how well behaved they are. After a few minutes of battle, I secure the little tike in her harness and have successfully put the leash on too. Victory! We head outside and make for the small patch of grass near the hotel parking lot. Ella happily does her business then decides to play tug-o-war with my ankles to let me know shes done. I'm guessing she is still upset about the leash. Locking the fur ball back in the room, I treat my self to what is supposed to be a hotel continental breakfast. I skip the burn remains of biscuits and pour a bowl of cereal instead. Scarfing down the Frosted Flakes, I skip along back to the room, half expecting it to be torn apart by the annoyed mini pooch. Ella is happily waiting for me instead. Surprise!

I call back mom and update her on my plans. Recovery. Sleep. Find a toothbrush. About half an hour later I'm back out the door in search of a tooth brush. Might as well ride my bike around town so the ol' muscles don't tighten up too much! A few minutes of pedaling later i have found the grocery store. Well it passes as a grocery store. I try my best to find a toothbrush but to no avail. After asking a clerk, he points me down the aisle Ive been down twice already. End of the aisle, down on the left. Okay the scavenger hunt begins. At the end of the aisle, its like playing a game of 'Where's Waldo?'. Boxes are just stacked everywhere, on every aisle, nothing is organized. Once i put down the shovel, i have succeeded in locating a small box of toothbrushes in the back of the shelf. Finally we are getting somewhere! Next up is some bananas. As it turns out, they are on the produces aisle! No need for a warm up game of 'I Spy'! Back to the room!

Today is turning out well, I have my toothbrush and some bananas to snack on. Some stretching, a few bananas and a stock of Tylenol later, I'm feeling great and ready to get back on the road! Joel is still at the hotel as well and we decide to go get some dinner. While inhaling the carb and salt loaded dinner, we plan our next days ride. Hills! Hills! Maybe some dogs! Finally after a glass of 'Cougar Bait', their only beer on tap, we head in for the night. I'm still trying to figure out where my taste buds went after that one glass.

I take Ella out one last time for the night and start organizing my gear. Gear is pack, loaded, and ready to go! A few tune ups on the bike and at last I'm ready to settle in. Of course a last phone call to mom and dad as well. Its always good to hear from home, my morale system on the road. Its almost 10 here in Kentucky and its about time I close up shop for the night! Thanks for reading our adventures on our journey across the US!

1 comment:

  1. A day of rest was def a good idea. And the toothbrush! Hopefully you won't be so sore tomorrow. Hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete